I can’t believe it is 2018 already. How about you? Do you set resolutions or goals for the New Year? I think a New Year is a great way to look at where I am and what I want for the next year. I actually write down a list of my goals every day (almost daily) and for the New Year. However, I must admit they tend to get too complicated, I set unreal expectations or not specific enough and then I feel like a failure because I didn’t accomplish what I set out to (what I can’t lose 20 pounds in 2 weeks?). Does this sound familiar? So this year I’m trying to set some achievable goals for the year (and daily goals) and what I really want to do for myself, my family, my well being. These aren’t in any specific order:
- GET HEALTHY: We all probably have a different definition of what “healthy” means. I want to feel good and have energy everyday. This means, taking steps like eating organic food, more fruits & vegetables, working out for at least 30 minutes a day, getting sleep (more than 5 hours). Plus, I want to lose weight and get toned (I’m not going to set a number to lose, I want to feel good in my skin), which let me tell you it gets harder every year (after 40 has not been easy to keep the weight off, plus taking a beta blocker for SVT doesn’t help my cause either). So when I say healthier and lose weight, what I really want is to be here for my daughter as long as I can.
- MOTIVATION: need I say more? I want to do everything I set out to do.
- GIVE BACK/STOP SPENDING: I’m still working on this one. My work in progress (I’m a work in progress). I will let you know more about this, when I sort out the details. As for spending, I’m learning how to follow Beauty Heroes mantra by founder Jeannie Jarnot to “USE LESS. LOVE MORE” ! I’ve cut back on my subscriptions boxes (believe it or not) and overall spending everywhere (green beauty products, grocery store, clothes, lots…This makes husband very happy).
- SMILE AND LAUGH MORE: One day we were in the car and I was laughing (you know, one of those out loud laughs) and my daughter said “wow mommy I never hear you laugh.” What? I do laugh! Well obviously not enough according to my girl. How sad. It made me realize, how I’m so in my head taking life too seriously, worrying about everything (hello, I’m a Risk Manager/attorney I’m always thinking worse case scenario). Right then I realized I need to stop what ever I was doing and enjoy life. So, I want to smile and laugh more. ENJOY LIFE and try not to worry so much. SMILE -remember they are contagious!
- BE PRESENT: Another eye opener this holiday was when my daughter told us all she wanted for Christmas day was for “NO PHONES.” Say what? We know, constantly checking texts, emails, taking pictures, work, work, work, play, play, play. Even just that quick look on our phone, she’s watching. Our kids notice everything. So I’m really trying to make a conscious effort to be there in the moment with my daughter and others. With all of our electronics, phones, iPads, computers and everything it is not easy to disconnect, but it is a must for my sanity and most importantly for my daughter.
Did you make any resolutions/goals for the New Year? Please share what (if anything) you do in comments below. Thank you.
Wishing you and yours a wonderful 2018!
“The New Year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. We can help write that story by setting goals.”
Green Passion Beauty